[haiku] [gsoc] Request for application pre-review

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:40:57 +0100

Hello,
here is my application for this year GSoC.

I am looking for your advice before i submit it officially.
What do you think of the project ? Can you point me to some
documentation about Zeta's locale kit or other information i may have
missed ?
I have already submitted some patches to the haiku sourcecode in the
past : see commits 24663, 24866, 25685 and 29449. Is that enough or
should I fix some more things ?

Thanks for your help,
PulkoMandy / Adrien

### Personal Profile ###
Full name : Adrien Destugues

Preferred email address : pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx

Summer Education : my regular classes ends around 15 of june. Nothing
else planned for the summer.

Employment : if i am selected for GSoC this year, it will be my only
employment. If not, I will have to find something else...

Schedule : Nothing else particular is planned.

Time Allocated : Full time (40 hours a week or more if i feel
motivated) from 15 of june to end of august. Probably less than that
before 15 of june, but I will try to spend as much time as possible on
my project.

Brief bio :
I'm studying computer science and electronics at the ENSSAT
engineering school, Lannion, France. This is my 3rd year in the field
of Computer Science. I have also quite a good experience in opensource
programming, being the manager of the Grafx2 project
(http://code.google.com/p/grafx2).
I used to run BeOS as my main operating system for some time, but
switched to linux because I missed some applications. I hope to get
back to haiku and its clean appearance and usability as soon as
possible. I already tried to get into GSoC last year, but my
application was rejected. I hope i'll make it this time.

### Project idea information ###
Project title  : Internationalization support for Haiku

Project description :
As an operating system oriented towards users, it feels strange that
Haiku has no support for internationalization and is only available in
english. The goal of this project is to add a Locale Kit to the
system, allowing all the bundled applications, tools and preflets to
be translated to the correct language at runtime. The translation
should be made simple with the use of a graphical tool, and the user
should be able to select his language easily when installing the
system, then switch to another one at runtime.
On the technical side, there are some libraries allowing translations
like that, for example GNU gettext. Having some kind of compatibility
with them would be nice. However, it should be noted that there is
also some support for internationalization in zeta, and a project was
started in OpenTracker to duplicate it. The sources could be used as a
base for Haiku i18n support. It is important to note that the layout
management in Haiku will cause less problems with strings not fitting
the intended space.
The locale kit may also provide support for correct formatting of
date, time, numbers and currencies.

Why do you want to work on this project? What makes you the best
person to work on it?
I think this project is very important for Haiku, and I would be happy
to contribute in an usefull way. I hope to use Haiku as my main
operating system and it will be better for me if it is localized.
It also seems to be a good way to learn both the inner workings of the
API and the way to use it in some GUI applications.

List of project goals :
- Design the translation API for applications, the file format for
storing the localized strings
- Create an example localizable application and test it
- Design and create a preflet for changing the language
- Design and create the "translation helper" application allowing easy
translation of all applications
- Modify the code of all the preflets and applications in haiku so
they use the localization system (if there is some time left at the
end of summer ;))