[haiku] Re: [gsoc] Request for application pre-review

  • From: Michael Bridgers <michaelbridgers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:35:12 -0400

My name is Michael Bridgers. I work in the software globalization
department of a major software vendor. I understand the interest in
developing native locale support from scratch for Haiku, but I think
there is a much better choice.

Many software vendors, including mine, use an open source
internationalization library that provides anything we could develop
from scratch, plus MUCH more. This library is Internationalization
Components for Unicode (ICU). Here is the main documentation page.
http://site.icu-project.org/

I have been working on porting this library to Haiku for the past couple
of months, and have it compiling for both the 2.9xx and 4.xx gcc
versions of Haiku.

Now, with that said, I think there are a LOT of areas that need work for
Haiku to be fully internationalized. Here is a list of the main areas
where Haiku is missing support:

- Right-to-left (RTL) layout of windows
- RTL UI components (such as scrolling lists, combo boxes, etc)
- Fonts for more languages
- Resource bundles for localization
- Linguistic collation
- Encoding conversion
- Locale sensitive date/time, calendars, etc...
- Locale sensitive number formatting and parsing
- Text boundary detection

In addition, we need a preferences application to set the locale and
other regional settings, like currency symbol, date preferences, etc...

RTL layout is needed for Hebrew, Arabic and a few other languages.

RTL UI components display differently in RTL layouts. For example,
scrolling lists will have the vertical scroll bar on the left side.
Combo boxes will have the chevron on the left side.

Haiku has resources, but they aren't up to the task of easily supporting
localization of applications and the OS.

Linguistic collation sorts text based upon rules that are different for
each locale.

Text boundary detection is needed for text layout.

The first two items in my list have to be done by adding support to
Haiku. Additional fonts are available.  The remainder of the items are
supported by an open source library, ICU (Internationalization
Components for Unicode). http://site.icu-project.org/

The code that makes up ICU started at Taligent in the 1980s. It was
ported to Java in the mid 1990s to provide their locale support. When
Taligent went under, IBM took over ICU and eventually released it open
source.  It is actively supported by IBM and other companies. ICU is
used by many global companies to provide internationalization support to
their applications or OS. Some of the places that include ICU are Linux
and Eclipse.

ICU supports the current version of Unicode and provides support for the
last 6 items in my list (plus other things).

I have been doing some tests of ICU in Haiku. I have built ICU
successfully using both versions of GCC (2.95.3 and 4.x). ICU has
extensive tests for all features. Not all of the ICU tests compile
successfully with 2.95.3, but with small changes, they do compile. When
the ICU tests are run in Haiku, there are a few failures, but the
majority of the tests run successfully.  There are also a few minor
changes that are needed to the Haiku headers to allow ICU to compile.
Those changes to the Haiku headers don't affect the compilation of
anything else in Haiku.

--- Proposal ---
My proposal is that Haiku add ICU to the core of the OS.

There are a few problems in Haiku that ICU exposes. For example, the
atof function returns incorrect values in some cases, and produces a
segmentation fault in some of the Haiku tests. These problems can be
corrected over time. They won't prevent Haiku from using ICU for many
tasks immediately.

I currently working out an approach to using the resource bundle support
in ICU to provide support for localizing both Haiku applications and the
OS itself.  I am planning to provide articles describing this (including
example code) and other features of ICU.