[haiku] Re: [gsoc] Request for application pre-review

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:35:43 +0100

Hi Adrien,

first of all, I like the idea very much and I think the proposal is sound,
although you may want to research some more technical aspects and integrate
them with your plan of work. Specifically, I would have a very close look at
the unfinished OpenTracker Local Kit, and point out what is missing in that
implementation and how you would improve/finish it. It was created by many of
the core Haiku developers so most of us would probably like that work continued
and completed (I mean, we are strongly biased towards that piece of work).

[...]
> List of project goals :
> - Design the translation API for applications, the file format for
> storing the localized strings
> - Create an example localizable application and test it
> - Design and create a preflet for changing the language
> - Design and create the "translation helper" application allowing easy
> translation of all applications
> - Modify the code of all the preflets and applications in haiku so
> they use the localization system (if there is some time left at the
> end of summer ;))

Sounds good, but I would completely drop the item:

> - Design and create the "translation helper" application allowing easy
> translation of all applications

I would concentrate on the technique. When you have indeed some time left and
start translating panels, a solid idea about how such a "translation helper"
could look like may form. Though the applications in the Haiku repository may
mostly not be sophisticated enough in terms of their requirements on the Local
Kit.

Best regards,
-Stephan