[openbeos] Re: app_server: MMX/SSE help wanted

  • From: "Scott MacMaster" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:32:50 -0400

> > I'd suggest you find someone with an Athlon XP to ask, I no longer
posess
> > any AMD kit due
>
> I do have an Athlon XP, it just hasn't misbehaved so far in regard to SSE
> code. That's why I'd be interested in getting such instruction sequences.
>
> I've heard the myth about the 'incompatible' Athlon XP dozens of times,
but
> never an explanation which I could verify empirically. I'm just a little
> tired of that bit of misinformation floating around, that's all.

I used to have an Athlon XP.  I eventually sold it to a friend because I
didn't what to deal with having to hack BeOS to get it to boot.  Anyway, it
didn't crash often but it was the most unstable BeOS system I had.  Probably
crashed more often then my WindowsXP.  At least, XP gave a reason.  It
always said my video driver misbehaved or something like that.  I wonder if
that's current.  Anyway, I'm not saying the issue was related to SSE.  I
might just be a coincidence but probably not.

Hmm, I suggest going with Pentiums until BeOS has better support for AMD.

Later,
Scott MacMaster