[openbeos] Re: app_server: MMX/SSE help wanted

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:19:40 +0300

Christian Packmann wrote:

On 2004-08-09 16:21:21 [+0200], Adi Oanca wrote:

I made the wrong assumption that MMX is a... core of its own, and that in the same time the CPU could process something else. Guess I was wrong!(?)

Axel already cleared that up. If you'd like to learn more about CPUs, a good source is Ars Technicas Technopedia section "CPU Theory and Praxis" at
<http://arstechnica.com/cpu/index.html>.

They've got a nice introductory article about SIMD architectures, going into some detail on MMX, SSE, 3DNow! and PowerPCs AltiVec; this would be a good read for anybody interested in the possibilities of SIMD:
<http://arstechnica.com/cpu/1q00/simd/simd-1.html>

Oh my god, Intel/AMD's SIMD implementation sucks BIG time!

Altivec is by far the best implementation and the easiest to work with! Also, it using 32 completely independent registers would make it about 2 times faster than SSE2/3.
If only SSE4 == Altivec... ehhhh...

Adi.