[openbeos] Re: app_server: MMX/SSE help wanted

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:28:12 -0400 EDT

> Well, that's nice of you two to go looking for outside help without
> even
> checking with the person who has written most of the graphics code.
> BTW,
> Francois hit the nail on the head.  First we worry about getting
> stuff
> working and checking our current performance.  After that, we can
> consider
> using non-portable optimizations where needed.
It bothers me that simply asking for information has generated this
kind of response. I don't recall getting this reaction when I asked
around what is involved in hardware-accelerated OpenGL. To quote from
the Book of Phipps, "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."
:D I did Google around for some info on them, but what I found was an
explanation of what the instructions were, which is not what I needed.
What I personally am looking for is *basic* information about this kind
of thing. What are these instructions used for? Why are they so
supposedly cool? How is using them better than just using the regular
instruction set cooked up by Intel? Why does it seem that they are most
often associated with graphics? Can't they be used with other things,
too? That kind of thing. With my being self-taught, there are a great
many things in computer science that I just don't know about. I only
know *this* much about assembler, for example, and I was not aware that
Gabe -- or anyone else, for that matter, -- has or had any experience/
expertise with this, and so I asked. In any event, I would like to say
that I don't want this to turn ugly. :)

--DarkWyrm