[haiku] Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:35:19 +0800

On 2009-10-11 at 06:50:21 [+0800], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Dennis Catt <cattmail@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Will the WebKit browser that Ryan was working be ready for Haiku R1 final?
>
> I certainly hope so. It depends on course on how soon Haiku R1 final
> is to be released. If it is hypothetically by November 30 or something
> really soon, that might be pushing it. But if it is January or
> February 2010 that is probably doable. But keep in mind there isn't
> even a timeline for alpha2, let alone R1 final, so I wouldn't even
> consider the above as serious dates. I'm just saying where I think the
> browser will be by those dates.

An excellent cue to start my usual "let's define a feature set for R1"
speech. We shouldn't wait and see what features are ready until R1, because
that's just the wrong way around. More an more features will creep in this
way and postpone the release further and further -- e.g. the locale stuff is
now in the trunk and thus quite likely also in R1, although I think getting
it into a polished final release shape (which IMO includes making every
application, library, and add-on locale-aware) is a major task that will hold
off R1 longer than necessary.

IMHO we should as soon as possible define the must-have and nice-to-have
feature sets for R1 and plan the roadmap to the next releases. As written a
few weeks ago I'd even say there are no real major must-have features
missing, meaning we could start with the beta release series now.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the upcoming BeGeistert, but I hope
the attending crowd will discuss this topic a bit.

CU, Ingo