[haiku] Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 18:50:21 -0400

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Dennis Catt <cattmail@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Will the WebKit browser that Ryan was working be ready for Haiku R1 final?

I certainly hope so. It depends on course on how soon Haiku R1 final
is to be released. If it is hypothetically by November 30 or something
really soon, that might be pushing it. But if it is January or
February 2010 that is probably doable. But keep in mind there isn't
even a timeline for alpha2, let alone R1 final, so I wouldn't even
consider the above as serious dates. I'm just saying where I think the
browser will be by those dates.

Of course another consideration is exactly what state the browser
needs to be in for it to be fit for release with Haiku. As long as it
isn't really crash prone and can handle most web-sites, SSL, and basic
browser tasks, it may be enough. It will get the job done even if it
isn't totally feature complete or the wonderful super-browser I one
day want it to be. And I suspect we would still want to include
BeZillaBrowser as a back-up either way.

One problem I'm having now is I wanted to set up my main desktop
machine with Haiku R1/Alpha1 in a nice big partition. I backed up all
my files from Linux, repartitioned the drive with plenty of space for
Haiku, installed a new version of Linux, and then successfully
installed Haiku. But alas, when I went to boot from that partition, no
go. It's a SATA drive so I assume it is a problem with the ATA driver.
The fact that the Live CD worked and could install Haiku on that
drive, but that drive cannot be booted itself is a bit strange. I'll
get the syslog and either post a new bug or add my log to an existing
bug.

It isn't a complete show-stopper but it has certainly put a wrench in
my plans to set up that machine as my main browser development
station. I'll work something out soon enough.

--
Regards,
Ryan