[openbeos] Re: The biggest problems?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 13:05:39 -0400

>> We are a fair distance from this, yet. I absolutely think that R5 is a
>> model for
>> an install. In fact, I kind of thought that doing developer install at
>> install time
>> was a bit of a hack - there should be no optional choices at install
>> time - only
>> the base should be installed. Development tools are something that
>> people
>Why just put it as it always was, in optional/ ?
>This folder contains files the installer might or might not install
>(it contains a file "_do_not_install_" with of course some attributes
>involved), and each folder in this one is presented as an optional package
>by the installer (the "More options" list). On each folder are attributes
>that defines the shown name in installer, its state (install by default, ....)
>so, localisation is installed by default, devel is not, and is the user
>doesn't unfold the package list it's as if it didn't had any option to bother
>with.

Where it goes is not really what I am talking about.
The point is that the install process should be as easy as possible.
As we certainly know from installing other operating systems, asking people
a ton of stupid questions irritates them and makes the install process long
and tedious. And one of the thing that Be's installer impressed me with was
the few questions that it "asked" (ok, checkboxes). What I kind of think is that
an integrated software installer would be cool (distro opportunity). Basically,
think that OBOS should provide a simple installer that formats and installs the
base OS. Nothing more. Distro makers should provide an "app installer" that
does whatever they think the right thing to do is.

>Has anyone begun to clone the R5 installer ? I can supply an R4 demo CD
>bfs image (that was given away by a magazine) that has lots of optional
>packages so we can check how it all works. Just come on beshare and
>search for BEOS_DEMO_CD_image2.iso (300M it's really bfs, the 1 is the iso
>with boot stuff and windows stuff).

Nothing has been done, here.

>I think this installer is really a good start (personnaly I'd add something
>that would spawn a terminal when you switch to workspace 1 so you can use the
>CD as rescue disk, or fix things before running the installer, and also have a
>game or something showing the BeOS multitasking when installing so we don't
>wait looking dumbly at the progress bar... even RedHat has this IIRC).

I like the "spawn a terminal" - Be's subtle method (ctrl-alt-t I think) was a
little too
subtle for me. A button would be enough. As far as a game, I think that is
interesting.
Maybe BShisen or something. ;-)

>> can install later. Oh - wait - language support can and should be done
>> at install
>> time, when we do it.
>
>It would be even better if it could be setup automagically, but I know no mean
>to learn the country a PC is in, neither from the BIOS or the hardware...
>That would be awesome though.

Yes, it would, but there is no way to tell. Imagine a person living in a
foreign country
that goes and buys a PC. It would be cool, though.