[openbeos] Re: StyledEdit and character set encodings

  • From: Guy <mul_m7m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:49:50 +0200

hey michael,
well, i generally agree with not adding new features, and i personally can live with little obos hebrew support (r5 likish and a *bit* beyond.)

there is already a fairly good hebrew extention on bebits, even a Hebrew OpenTracker, but still, the filenames are reversed as usual.
Gobe and text editors cope with right-to-left text from the Hebrew plug, but the delimiters (,./{}[];:`') still come out on the wrong side of the line.

2 things are important therefor:

1. (opentracker) finding a way to reverse only hebrew filenames (or hebrew filnames on windows partitions) (i've spoken to bga about this and he claims its impossible..)
2. (obos) writing a good input-method writer's guide (newsletter article? please??), and helping someone write a good input method for hebrew, so working with r5 interface kit but still gaining functionallity.

Michael, when you mentioned that israeli (or jewish?) friend of yours, you might be able to get Hebrew from bebits, and see how it works almost right but actually a bit wrong.
(i emailed the author asking for the source and didnt get a reply.)

anyhow, what i'm aiming for is gaining from everyone's experience in rewriting beos by, for instance, having a good written doc about writing Input methods, so someone like myself can dig in and try to get it done...

Thoughts anyone? :)

Guy.

This list is a phenominal example of why we need to address these issues
at some point in the future. It is *way* too much to try to build R5 *
AND*
something more at the same time. If we tried to do so, we wouldn't be
done until 2010. ;-)

The Right Way to address bidi and other directional types is to do it
in the Interface Kit. Once. Instead of doing it in a bunch of apps. Then all
apps will gain the functionality nearly simultaneously.

I know waiting for this stuff is hard. But an english only OBOS in 2003 is better
than an OS that does what everyone in the community wants in 2010.