[openbeos] Re: StyledEdit and character set encodings

  • From: "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:27:21 -0800

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for your comments.  Actually we have been
talking specifically about using different encodings
in this thread.  in this case we are referring to
ISO-8859-8. (international standard encoding with
Hebrew support.)

Also it seems my question about shifting characters
wasn't very clear.  I just wanted to know if after
you had typed a character if that character could
move after you typed another one.  In typical LTR
english a character is fixed after you type it.  My
understanding is that if you use a hebrew input method
in a left-aligned context all the characters you have
typed on a line would move if you typed a new one.
This is similar to the effect you would get if you
type english in a right-aligned context.  I just
wanted to make sure that no moving of characters
should occur in a normal right-aligned context. (for
hebrew)

Andrew

Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 23:01:33 +0100

I think we're using Unicode, so it makes little sense to speak of
"Hebrew encoding", and there is virtually no way to determine the
language a text is written in with 100% accuracy. Any Hebrew
characters make (Hebrew|Yiddish) text, any Latin characters make
(Latin|French|Dutch|German|...) text. Mixed paragraphs are a problem,
that's what the Unicode bidirectional algorithm is for.