[openbeos] Re: StyledEdit and character set encodings

  • From: "shatty" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:58:45 -0800

Hello Guy,

The issue of character set encodings is largely orthogonal to that
of bi-directional text.  Since I have not used bi-directional text I do
not understand what interface conventions are most appropriate
or common for handling it.  Some issues I wonder about:

1. If I write hebrew, presumably the carat should begin on the right-hand
side and move left as I type?
2. As I type hebrew the text that I have typed should not shift?
3. If I look at a hebrew document it is all right-aligned?
4. If I look at an english document is is viewed and input as normal?
5. How are documents with both english and hebrew aligned?
6. How does the input method interact with the carat during a switch
to/from hebrew?
7. How is a single line that has both hebrew and english words aligned?
8. If I have a document in a hebrew encoding is it reasonable to default
to right-aligned display?
9. Should I make some attempt to determine if the text is english
even though it is the hebrew encoding?  (no extended characters
are being used, for example)
10. Should all text editing fields be aligned the same way?  (aligning
all to the right regardless of particular encodings, for example?)

Also thanks for bringing up the subject as I noticed that the OBOS
stylededit seems to not handle soft wrapping yet, and like the R5
version it suffers from not retaining the text alignment. (a bug IMHO)

Andrew