[openbeos] Re: Starting with OpenBeOS

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:58:34 +0000

Hi Lorenzo,

[snip]
> What version do you suggest to use to build OpenBeOS (I don't know if I
> can buy BeOS Professional Edition, it would be HARD to find it in Italy :))?
> One last thing, before starting the building process, I downloaded the
> ld linker required to build OpenBeOS, so I don't think that my problems
> are related to the linker.
> Anyway, long live to BeOS! (and to OpenBeOS of course :))

Be Inc released R5 PE as a free downloadable. Max and Dev Ed both take that and
just added freely available software to it (it's all at bebits). Pro has some
additional "commercial" additions, not very useful nowadays, like an old real
player and an old mp3 encoder. Basically they are all the same core operating
system.

Personally, I like to start with PE, although you may have some problems on new
hardware. The other two really have far more stuff than is necessary.

Anyway, you can change compilers without having to download a whole different
"distribution" - as I say, they are all essentially the same. The Dev Ed
compiler is known to be buggy; I think the one in the GeekGadgets package is
the recommended one for openbeos:
http://www.bebits.com/app/1745

I think the one included with PE development tools should work fine too though,
get the development tools package from here:
http://www.bebits.com/app/2680

Hope this helps,

Simon

ps:
> P.S.: As you may have noticed :) I'm Italian and my English isn't very
> good (well, I'm trying to improve it :)), so I hope that you can read
> this email without too many problems :)

Your English is very good (much better than my Italian :D). It's easier to read
if you use a few more paragraphs though!