[haiku] Re: "Pictures" folder? (aka; default folders in /home/ for common media types)

  • From: David Rawson Couzelis <drcouzelis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:17:33 -0400

These ideas sound way more complicated than they need to be. :(

> Mainly I was thinking about this because I was dumping my wallpapers
> in the system/data/artwork/ folder since that was the folder that
> showed up by default to choose an image from, and I didn't like
> having to do that again every time I updated the OS.

This isn't the case. The default directory is not
"system/data/artwork/". Instead, that's the directory where the previous
wallpaper came from, which, in my opinion, is the correct and expected
behaviour. As soon as you load a new wallpaper from, for example,
"home/Wallpapers/", it's now the new "default" directory.

This should be the behaviour when opening a file in all Haiku
applications, including things like MP3 players and text editors. This
behaviour, plus the ease of using the Haiku file chooser (for example,
by clicking and dragging a file from another location onto the file
chooser to automatically select it) make it easy to find files in Haiku.

> One that I think we definitely need is Downloads, I hate how
> WebPositive just dumps everything on the Desktop. I know that is
> configurable now but there is no reason to force users to create a
> ~/Downloads directory and then change the Web+ setting when that is a
> great default.

I hate it when web browsers dump everything into a "Downloads"
directory. When I download pictures, music, and videos, I don't want
them in a single "Downloads" directory. Instead, I want them in the
"Pictures", "Music", and "Videos" directories, and the easiest and
quickest place to sort them from is the desktop. So, you have a very
valid opinion about wanting a "Downloads" directory and making
WebPositive use it by default, but I don't think it's something we
"definitely need".

...Even so, I don't mind the idea of having some default directories in
the home directory (Documents, Downloads, Pictures, whatever...) but you
have to promise me ONE thing: If I delete or rename the directory, Haiku
will not automatically create it again! (as is done with Linux / XDG)

David Couzelis