[haiku] Re: "Pictures" folder? (aka; default folders in /home/ for common media types)

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:15:52 -0400

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But find_directory returns a (single) BPath, doesn't it?  I was thinking more
> of allowing a set of folders to be specified, as in the environment variable
> "PATH".
>
> I like Axel/Francois' thoughts of tagging folders with suitable attributes,
> though.

I think that's more like what Win 7 is doing these days with its
"libraries" paradigm.

Basically you select the different folders you want to appear as part
of your "Pictures" library of whatever, and it aggregates them all
into one common access point. So your "Pictures" folder can actually
be an aggregation of pictures from several different places and drives
etc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/libraries
http://lifehacker.com/5464350/get-to-know-windows-7-libraries-inside-and-out
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-libraries-%E2%80%93-and-why-you-want-them/

etc. This seems to be more along the lines of what you guys are talking about.

--
"You don't use science to show you're right, you use science to become
right." --xkcd