[openbeos] Re: OpenBeOS Software Availability

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:02:07 -0500 EST

Nev Kent wrote on Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:42:51 +0800:
> Sorry to be a nuisance but as all this is very new to me would you advise I
> download BeOs R5 Personal Edition or
> download OpenBeOs as I would like to keep Windows (due to work previously
> done and required from time to time)
> but at the same time look at the alternatives.

I'd recommend the Personal Edition.  http://www.bebits.com/app/2680  Try it.
If it works well enough on your hardware (you may need a boot floppy to
properly get it working - Windows leaves some hardware in a bad state after
restarting), you can move it to a real disk partition and start adding more
software.  Or use one of those 3rd party pre-configured BeOS + stuff packages
(though I prefer to know what I'm adding in case of bugs).

Ask if you have problems.  There are several user help mailing lists,
BeUserTalk on groups.yahoo.com (send mail to
beusertalk-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to subscribe) may be more relevant than
this one for BeOS questions.

- Alex