[openbeos] Re: OBOS new name

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 12:51:37 -0400

>> But nova is a little different than nuevo. nouveau, neu or nuovo.
>
>let me dissent...
>"nova" looks a lot like "nuova" (it-IT) and "nueva" (es-ES)...
>(it's female! here adjectives have genders too!)

I certainly can't speak for Italian, but in Spanish, the adjectives need to
agree with the noun that they refer to.
La Cosa Nueva - the new thing
El Juego Nuevo - the new toy

My choice of masculine was somewhat random. But also the accent (at least in
Spanish) is different.
In English, no' va
In Spanish nu e' va

In Spanish, at least, the vowel that doesn't exist in the english is
emphasized, giving it a whole different sound, at least to me. ;-)

But, in any case, whether nova will mean new to most people or not is somewhat
objective. The only real way to tell i by a statisical sample. :-)