[haiku] Re: Just an idea

  • From: Alan Burkes <firstakir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:16:19 -0700

On Jun 6, 2013 4:57 PM, "Jeff KP3FT" <kp3ft@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree, targeting niches would help.  One niche it already has is
TuneTracker, which we've been using for years to run our FM radio station.
 With the upcoming LPFM application window that the FCC is opening, there
may possibly be some increased interest in Haiku/TuneTracker by people who
are looking for an inexpensive and dependable radio-automation system.

> I would love to see software geared towards media.  A user-friendly
audio-editing program similar to Audacity would be nice.  I remember BeOS
being promoted as the "Media OS", but don't know if Haiku is promoted as
the same.

> Also, for a possible and likely niche, several in the Amateur Radio crowd
would probably become serious Haiku enthusiasts if there was Amateur Radio
software written for it. Much of Amateur Radio is heavily based on
software... the Amateur frequencies are loaded with all kinds of digital
communications using a computer connected to a transceiver, including for
example weak-signal digi communication via reflecting signals off the Moon
back to Earth (Earth-Moon-Earth, or "EME").

>  Amateur Radio is, by nature, experimental, and radio amateurs love to
try new things.  I remember using software many years ago written for DOS
to communicate around the world with an old IBM XT and a homemade interface
connecting the computer to the transceiver.  With the speed and efficiency
of Haiku, I bet digital-communication software would be more effective in
decoding received digital signals than the present multitude of Windows
software.  Linux has software as well, but very little compared to Windows.

In my personal opinion, we are not putting enough effort into the ARM port,
and I arrived at that opinion because I see the rise of inexpensive
multi-core ARM systems popping up literally everywhere, and that's
somewhere Haiku would really thrive; environments that don't necessarily
have a lot of RAM or a very fast processor. I think ARM-based computers are
the niche that Haiku needs to fill to be successful. Imagine if the
Raspberry Pi ran Haiku!

We missed the boat to get into the netbook craze, but there are still
people who want simple network machines to do simpler tasks, and I feel
that Haiku can be that OS.

That and I have always wanted to run haiku on a tablet and see how well the
UI would stand to my stubby fingers. :P