[haiku] Re: Just an idea

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku ML <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 15:55:01 -0400

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM, stewart woods <stuwoods05@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> does anyone think haiku could run on smart phones,

Sure, at some point, if someone did the work.

> the OS war for the desktop is over.
> people only buy tablets and smartphones, no one wants a desktop anymore.

People love to say that, but I don't think it is true. I have two
tablets, yet if I want to do any real work (or any amount of typing),
I go to my laptop or desktop machines. I sure as heck wouldn't be
typing this email on my iPad.

I convinced my wife that for a new computer she could get by with a
tablet, which was replacing an old MacBook. We bought an Asus
Transformer and the associated keyboard (making it almost like a
laptop), but after a little while she couldn't stand it for any kind
of real work (like writing simple documents for her job.) Now it sits
around mostly unused while she spends most of her time on a Windows 8
laptop. Of course in this case the main issue is Android sucks as an
OS for getting real work done, at least for my wife. Things like
switching between apps and copy and paste are damn near medieval. iOS
is as bad or worse.

The way Android and iOS are dumbed down make them difficult to do real
work on. They are designed as content consumption devices.

Of course that is more a software issue than anything, and maybe Haiku
could help solve that problem.

--
Regards,
Ryan