[openbeos] Re: It is accomplished -- no version history

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:34:21 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Erik Jaesler wrote:

> >Another item about the new CVS files:
> >
> >Would it not have been possible to import the files to their new
> >locations, rather than just checkin? There is no version history in the
>
> >new structure. All files are now v1.1, author 'ejakowatz', with
> >comments "It is accomplished...". This is unfortunate.
>
> Unfortunately, no.  This is, without doubt, a huge bummer, but it did
> not seem likely that we would get the kind of cooperation necessary from
> the SF folks to make this happen.  As someone else mentioned, it does
> indeed require direct manipulation of the RCS files.  I have a copy of
> the latest tar ball; if we do move to a self-hosted situation in the
> reasonably near future, we should (with a bit of work) be able to merge
> it all and get our complete version history back.  Don't hold your
> breath, though; first, we've got to get a server we can be king on and
> second, we've got to do the merge which will make what I did last night
> look like a walk in the park. =P

Argh! Please, don't let us leave SourceForge. The gain of being able to
hack the repository is such a small one compared with what we would lose.
In particular I think of reliability and availability -- those guys have
years of experience hosting thousands of projects. And I don't need to
start enumerating all the nice features...

CU, Ingo