[openbeos] Re: It is accomplished -- no version history

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:41:42 +0200

"Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Another item about the new CVS files:
>
>Would it not have been possible to import the files to their new
>locations, rather than just checkin? There is no version history in the
>new structure. All files are now v1.1, author 'ejakowatz', with
>comments "It is accomplished...". This is unfortunate.

If you don't like the comment, you can change it with the cvs admin feature.

Regarding the loss of history:
Yes, this is unfortunate. I don't like it either. But it's not that a big
problem I think.
We should move forward, and don't look back. It would have been possible to
keep the history with help from SF, and some more work. But there unfortunately
is no cvs command to move a file.

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

| I need to move files around without losing revision history
| In the repository, copy (don't move) the RCS files to the desired new
location in the project.
| They must remain in their old locations as well. Then, in a working copy, do:
| floss$ rm oldfile1 oldfile2 ...
| floss$ cvs remove oldfile1 oldfile2 ...
| floss$ cvs commit -m ?Òremoved from here?Ó oldfile1 oldfile2 ...
| When people do updates after that, CVS correctly removes the old files and
brings the new
| files into the working copies just as though they had been added to the
repository in the
| usual way (except that they'll be at unusually high revision numbers for
supposedly new files)

regards
Marcus