[openbeos] Re: It is accomplished -- no version history

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:55:17 CDT

>"Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Another item about the new CVS files:
>>
>>Would it not have been possible to import the files to their new
>>locations, rather than just checkin? There is no version history in
the
>>new structure. All files are now v1.1, author 'ejakowatz', with
>>comments "It is accomplished...". This is unfortunate.
>
>If you don't like the comment, you can change it with the cvs admin
feature.

Oh please! As if I give a poop what the current comment is. My point is
that all of the original authors/submitters comments are gone. And all
the diffs. They track what has happened with the file over time. This
is *particularly* useful with the kernel -- it lets us know what we
have done since the fork from NewOS.

Ok, I just tried a test import (at /shtest) and, sure enough, all the
revision history is gone. Well, this really sucks.

If we can save the revision history with help from the SF tech support,
we should do this. If we can't -- well, then I guess that is that.
However, we should at least archive the current repos and save it as a
resource, in case we need to go look something up, Heck, I'll probably
save a copy locally myself, just to be sure we have at least one.