[openbeos] Re: It is accomplished -- no version history

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:31:48 -0400

>On 2002-07-10 at 08:34:21 [+0000], you wrote:
>> Argh! Please, don't let us leave SourceForge. The gain of being able to
>> hack the repository is such a small one compared with what we would lose.
>> In particular I think of reliability and availability -- those guys have
>> years of experience hosting thousands of projects. And I don't need to
>> start enumerating all the nice features...
>
><outisder>
>Good points and essential for any replacement system. But I've heard from a
>number of sources that SourceForge isn't working as well as it used to. The
>Python developers are considering moving from SourceForge because support
>isn't happening.
></outsider>
>
>Charlie

In fact, we are working on leaving SF. Our website's reliability is lucky to
hit 5 7's (77.777% up).
CVS is sometimes down. Etc. And it is always *slow*.

We wouldn't leave *just* so that we can have the ability to manipulate CVS.
That would, indeed be foolish.
Instead, we are leaving to go to a provider that is donating direct access to
the backbone. We will have
full shell, cgi, CVS *ADMIN*, etc. And if we outgrow the machine we are on,
there (which runs NetBSD, BTW),
we can ship down a new one and they will colocate it.

I really hadn't intended to talk about this until it was more ready (we are
just getting set up), but since it came up...