[openbeos] Re: How not to actively prevent a PPC version of your software and write better code at the same time

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:26:08 -0400

>> > I'm trying to compile various pieces of OBOS software for PPC. Here
>> > are
>> > some quick rules that both create better code and make my life a *
>> > lot*
>> > easier.
>>
>> And this is important because....?????
>>
>> It's a bl**dy OpenSource project. Jesus, some folks just don't get
>> it...
>
>I'm sorry if I "don't get it". I was asking you to please right good
>code as a favor to me and youselves, because I'm in charge of the PPC

Good is fine. _EXPORT is not good. It is a platform specific thing.
And (for the millionth time) PPC is *NOT* a requirement for R1. It is wonderful
that you guys want to work on it and are interested. I think that it will add a
lot
to the project. But I will *NOT* let this slow down the work on R1.

>port. I would *prefer* not to have to go through thousands of lines of
>source by hand manually adding function prototypes and things. I should
>think that you, also, would be interested in writing good code, and
>compatible code.

Good, yes. Compatible with every system out there? No.