[openbeos] Re: How not to actively prevent a PPC version of your software and write better code at the same time

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:43:50 -0500 (EST)

> >I'm sorry if I "don't get it". I was asking you to please right good
>> code as a favor to me and youselves, because I'm in charge
>> of the PPC
>
> Good is fine. _EXPORT is not good. It is a platform specific thing.

This kind of *uglyness* could give us platform/compiler
independence.
Not really costly.

Funny enough, _EXPORT is in fact _declspec(dllexport) (see headers/be/
BeBuild.h),
which many may find far cryptic...

Often, the problem here is to explain why it's important to add
something
that many can consider as useless or... ugly, and what's this really
add to
the project...

BTW, how NewOS code do to handle his multi-achitecture support?

> And (for the millionth time) PPC is *NOT* a requirement for R1. It is
wonderful
> that you guys want to work on it and are interested. I think that it
will add a lot
> to the project. But I will *NOT* let this slow down the work on R1.

But what for Pre-R1?
What about the kits that can (or already are, like the MDR) be BeOS
replacements *before* R1?
Should we miss the possibility to have both x86 and PPC BeOS parts
replacements
simply for a matter of 7 letters?

I'm not keyboard speedy, but be sure that writing some _EXPORT here and
there
was *never* what slow down my little OBOS contribution ;-)
"Life" come in my mind first...

But, hey, like all humans currently coding on Earth, I make my own
coding choices
and my own coding mistakes (using C++ comments in a C file
-private joke for David Reid, kinda ;-) )

-Philippe.

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's
supposed to do.
                -- R. A. Heinlein