[openbeos] Re: How not to actively prevent a PPC version of your software and write better code at the same time

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 22:18:33 EDT (-0400)

> >> Can you point me to a C++ standard that they are in?
> >
> >No. But every compiler that I've ever seen takes and respects
> >_declspec(dllexport), whereas only GCC exports all symbols.
>
> That is just a limited experience thing. No flame intended, but many
> other
> compilers export formats (which is really the issue) with all
> symbols.
> Windows and Macs are the chief victims of "only export certain
> symbols".
> Unix's, for years, haven't had this issue. As I stated in a previous
> mail,
> any ELF compiler will export every symbol. If you don't like ELF,
> well,
> I am not sure what to tell you.

Export only certain symbols is not a bad thing. Why do you want your
library internals to be exposed?

> >Actually, export all doesn't work right. You get lots of symbol
>
> This is news to me.
>
> >collisions in the statically linked runtime libraries, which are
> > also
> >required. We could also provide .exp files, but I'm not sure that's
> >better solution.
>
> I think that placing the onus on the small number of PPC developers
> who are
> porting is far better than placing it on the larger number of primary
> platform
> people who are producing new code everyday.

As I said, try to use it. Typing seven characters never hurt anyone. If
you forget, I'll fix your linker error. The issue is, again, not a PPC/
x86 thing. It's an ELF/non-ELF thing, and I see no reason to limit the
scope of our code to ELF.

> >> Yes, that last one percent can be very problematic. Esp if you
> > > have *
> >> NO* support
> >> or help. That is what PPC faces in the Mac world. It was hard
> > > enough
> >> with Intel
> >> engineers helping...
> >
> >So let's not make it any harder than it needs to be.
>
> By making everyone else's life harder? No.

By much? Nope.

> >> I don't think that it is lame at all. I spent a couple of weeks
> >> learning USB before I
> >> even thought about writing any code. And there was nothing
> > > stopping
> >> me from just
> >> sitting down and coding like mad. I wanted to understand what I
> > > was
> >> doing and why.
> >> In professional software (which this is not), it is spec'ing out
> > > the
> >> project. Since I don't
> >> like writing specs, I just read and thought and planned. But it is
> >> the same idea. I suspect
> >> that the PPC folks (Hi, Tony!) have a lot more reading and
> > > learning
> >> and thinking to do
> >> than coding.
> >
> >Right. And I've been doing this for 4-5 months now, as have the
> > other
> >people doing PPC.
> >-Nathan
>
> Cool! So you have been writing drivers and code and getting ready for
> a new kernel?

Yes. And working on porting that kernel. I have quite a bit of PPC code
for NewOS sitting on my hard disk here.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says: