[openbeos] Re: Haiku distribution

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:51:50 +0200 CEST

Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jonas Sundström wrote:
> > "Donovan Schulteis" <deej575@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Transmission would be on top of my list.
>
> Hmmm.. This is where we start to disagree. Your list and
> mine don't agree. :-D Firefox would be the top of mine.

Yes, absolutely, I think I just semi-subconsciously skipped Firefox
due to its size. I know we need it, I just wish there was hope for a
revival of something a little more NetPositive-like. :I

> Remember, too, that some people don't live in US/Western
> Europe/Asia with our ultra fat pipes.

Bittorrent is ubiquitous enough that it's simply a must-have,
fat pipes or no fat pipes. Perhaps especially for a community
with less great connections.

> I think that some smaller level of software might be a good thing.

My set of truly essential applications will of course be different
from yours, but there are a couple of good picks, and if people
don't need e.g. VLC or Vision, they can easily remove them.
Image size might be an issue, but not if torrents are used, unless
we somehow go beyond the size limits of plain CDs.

Even without applications to handle "all" filetypes, I think it would
be a better out-of-the-box experience for Haiku to be able to say
-something- about a file, a Word document, a Real audio file,
a Bittorrent file, an Internet Explorer Favorite file, etc, than to not
have anything worthwhile to say.

There could be a filetype support team that would add popular
filetypes, finding correct mime types, sniffing rules and if possible
implement at least some kind of rudimentary "filetype x viewer"
application. Something in between DiskProbe and a fully capable
application. Sort of like the OS saying "Sorry, I don't know how
to handle this filetype properly, but at least I can tell you that the
contents have these properties bla bla bla.."

> > People should get the idea that Haiku -is- a viable alternative,
> > so it's got to look capable. At the same time people need to
> > realize that it's -not- finished, so we need to be clear about
> > that.
>
> It will be before, IMHO, a distro should exist.

Even if Pingwinek is persuaded to wait, there are likely to come
others, prior to R1, and the only way we can influence them is
through our build system. That's why I propose using our images
to lead by example.

> > At the very least there should be a Read Me on every Haiku
> > desktop that explains the development phase that Haiku is in,
> > where to ask questions and where/how to report bugs, how to
> > find out what hardware one has got, what build revision one is
> > running, and so on. Things that are relevant to bug reports.
>
> I still like the Be model - ship when it is done and not before.

Well.. The images are out there, being served.

/Jonas Sundström.