[openbeos] Re: Haiku Radeon Driver: Has anyone had success with an X1950 Pro?

  • From: Finn Bastiansen <beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:23:07 +0100

Hi Philippe,

> Should be soon and, according to an AMD engineer, the 2D acceleration code
> from
> older radeons should still be accepted by R500 & R600 command processor.

then I wonder why the BeOS driver does not work with these cards. Euan
probably tried to just add the respective IDs, so I wonder why it doesn't
work although the acceleration code should still work with R5xx and R6xx.

Anyway, with the availability of a Linux driver the respective changes will
still have to be made on the BeOS/Haiku driver. I have no idea how long that
will take, but as a BeOS user I am used to waiting :-)

> For more interested details, check John Bridgman (bridgman) post at bottom:
> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6378.html

Thanks, I will do that. I will have to read some more mails from their lists
to get an idea how far developent has progressed.

> PS: I'm also an x1950 pro owner, BTW. My previous x850xt wasn't supported
> by our
> Haiku driver either, resulting into a reboot. It's unrelated but since, the
> card
> "dies": VRAM goes bad.

With the X1950 BeOS goes into 640x480 VESA mode here.

I will have to try a bit more how BeOS and Windows behave with two graphics
cards in one computer connected to one monitor (X1950 AGP and GeForce2 PCI)
... Maybe I can get it to work to use the Geforce2 in BeOS (hardware 3D
aceleration :-) ) and the Radeon in Windows. From the BeOS perspective,
Rudolf said it should work. But he didn't know that they are both connected
to the same monitor, and that is what upsets the screen or Windows, I think
(probably it's the screen; my CRT is switching into something like "no
signal" or standby mode).

Greetings
Finn