[openbeos] Re: Haiku Network Preferences

  • From: <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:59:07 +0200

>> I guess your screenshot upload got mixed somewhere, as it ends on a void.gif
>> image instead.
>
> It works for me.

It does for me too. Now.
I guess *I* got mixed myself somewhere, then... ;-)

> I checked the patch and it does use the layout system: good job!

Nice.

Regarding the screenshot, I'm not that found in naming networking setups
"location", as it imply semantically that switching to another one is triggered
by place change mainly, which is not always the case, far from it sometimes.

More generally speaking, Networking preflet is one fews that can become very
bloated fast, in contrast to all the others BeOS-ish we have who manage to stay
clean and simple. It's not due to your effort Dario, don't worry, it's inherent
to the fact networking settings are far more complex and techy than configuring
the colorspace of your screen and the number of workspaces you wants.

The only other preferences app that (may have) face this risk is Media preflet,
which Be avoided by going to a media nodes treeview + dynamic panel provided
directly by the nodes themselves, though media kit.
But with our current network stack, it will be hard to do the same, kernel
modules (protocols) and drivers (devices) will have hard time to provides
built-in configuration GUI (some *View root object of sort) to a userland app.
Maybe some food for R2, though.

Philippe Houdoin.