[openbeos] Re: [Glasselevator-talk] Re: Glasselevator-talk digest, Vol 1 #3 - 3 msgs (themes and other apps)...

  • From: David Sowsy <dsowsy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenBEOS <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:24:39 -0500 (EST)

> Once you place that code under an OpenSource license, it's no longer under
> your control.

No, but in terms of our project before it is released to public at
large it is in our control, and our project directions are in
our control. It's kind of like the war on terrorism...either you're
with us or against, and if you are against us you better fear our
wrath.

> It's under the control of the community that uses it.  If you
> have a 'look and feel' but another dev wants something different, they
> simply hack apart your pretty and time consuming UI elements, throw them on
> the floor and replace them with their own.

That's nice, but they don't hold the official tree, and can be
weird shunned out of existance, or forced to go and do their own thing.
It's kind of like how Linux and BSD are similar to Protestants and
Catholics...they have disagreements, but at the end of the day when
all is said and done, they still believe in a guy up on a cross.

> And for your efforts you might
> get a note in the README, and that assumes you release under a GPL variant
> the enforces that.
Look at Mesa, they changed from GPL to MIT license, GOOD for them!
When a better license evolves, it will become adopted, and those who
believe in the viral nature of GPL can cry 'sour grapes' ad infinitum.

> Given all of that, and the state of how badly the OSS licenses are actually
> adhered to.

*Shrug*. I've always been a strong advocate of pure public domain.
If you want to give something away, don't attach strings to it.

> Go ask the author of Fink, or a number of other OSS authors
> about the efforts required to pursue people that abuse OSS and the GPL
> variants.

I've dealt with many zealotous authors, and matter-of-fact GPL Believers
in my time. They are tilting at windmills for a better tomorrow.

> I'm sorry but if you think you can control OSS code, you are
> delusional.  You can 'guide' but not control.

You can control what is in the public releases. Michael Phipps can have
the final say on what is and what is not ready for public release.
The only one who is delusional here, is you.

> Andy Satori

David Sowsy    .    /|\  BeOS Rebel and Coder   .  *  .
http://dsowsy.nanorevolution.com   .   *   .   *   .  .