[openbeos] Re: [Glasselevator-talk] Re: Glasselevator-talk digest, Vol 1 #3 - 3 msgs (themes and other apps)...

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:53:06 +0100

Helmar Wrote:
>Jasse Jansson wrote:
>
>> Yepp, lets keep control over our work.
>
>Open Source?

See earlier comments about write access to CVS :) The code in there is
our work!

>> If anyone want to make a distribution, fine.
>
>Not fine. BeOS cannot afford that - at least not at this
>stage.

Then OBOS is meant to fail, as it is opensource, and this cannot be
helped :(

>> But I don't like the idea that _one_ distributor shall
>> have control of the "certification" process.
>
>Unfortunately, IMHO, this is the only way forward at this
>point in time, for reasons that should be well known.

They arent. OBOS itself could do a certification process, for all I
care. In fact, I think we should be the one, as we're the one doing the
actual main code line. You can offer suggestions, ofcourse, but this
has been possible right from the start of this project.....

>> Let every distributor make their own certification rules and
>> compete for their market share. Let the best man win.
>
>Yeah right, and let all those, who (like you in OBOS)
>volunteered their time and resources give in to someone who
>throws a bit more money at it. It's not about the best man
>then, but about the deepest pockets.

We don't have to give in to anyone, we can do as we (OBOS) please, as
no one else has got write access to our CVS tree, that's what it all
comes down to, as far as we are concerned (b/w view).

>> Yepp, it will be a mess from the beginning, but I think
>> that is inevitable. Give it some time (a few early distros),
>> and let the best concept win.
>
>Nice idea, but illusional, if I may say so.

Explain why?

>> Sound competition is good, and the only way that's gonna
>> happen is if the "standard" is set by someone that has _no_
>> commersical interest in the outcome, only user friendliness,
>> desktop uncluttering, performance and such things.
>
>Yeah, right, think beyond the OS. The OS itself holds no
>value, the apps do, and unfortunately the best apps will
>only come from commerical developers, shareware or proper.

and the point is? I guess I don't understand what you are saying here,
as I don't really think this has much to do about the distro thing.
Sure, there will be free distros, commercial distros, whatever. The one
that gets the most momentum will get the most apps, just as you see
with Linux (Redhat anyone?:))

>>      ...Jasse...this is still not my native language...
>
>Neither is it mine.

Neither is it mine :)

Regards,

Ithamar.

PS: No hard feelings towards BeUnited, let me state that clearly here.
Just saying that I want to steer clear of commercial steering in this
project, especially at this point in time......