[haiku] Re: Fwd: Re: Introducing Myself

  • From: "André Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:13:24 -0200

Em 29/11/2008, às 17:00, "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx> escreveu:
>> Yeah I was thinking about it but I wonder if it actually worth it? I
>> mean
>> PPC on the desktop is pretty much dead except for a few machines that
>> keep
>> running like mine. What does the Haiku leader......!!!!!!!Zultan.....
>> think
>> about that?

Let's not forget the current consumer appliances that sport PPC
processors, like the PS3, Xbox360 and of course the Wii. Haiku on the
Wii/on a TV set makes a lot of sense: no-nonsense and very responsive
GUI, small form factor, low power consumption. I myself am willing to
dive a little into it as I keep sorting my (about to hit Legendary(R)
status) mess of a life out and get the scheduler done. :)

Naturally, porting to PPC (or getting the port up to speed) is a
requirement. Perhaps using the Wii as a development platform isn't a
bad idea at all, given that IOS (the OS that runs on the ARM
controller on the Wii) does quite a handful of heavy-lifting to
abstract many hardware details. Sure beats fighting broken
OpenFirmware implementations.

> Well, one of the goals is to allow reusing old machines with an OS
> that doesn't need a Cray...

QFT.

Cheers,
A.