[haiku] Re: Fwd: Re: Introducing Myself

  • From: "André Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 19:18:59 -0200

Please, don't top-post :)

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 18:36, Samir Gartner <jigzat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yeah I actually have a PS3, and dont get me wrong I have always think that
> PPC is superior than X86 but I have always seen BeOS/ Haiku as more desktop
> worthy than embedded. Besides, gaming consoles make a big leap in hardware
> every iteration than desktop architectures so it would be harder to keep up.

Even though this is not a very widespread knowledge, BeOS was
successfully used on embedded appliances (like RADAR24). And both the
desktop and embedded appliances are worthy targets for Haiku.

The period between iterations on previous consoles was of 6-7 years.
Given that each PPC-sporting console in the current generation is less
than 2 years old, they're pretty stable targets to aim for, IMHO.

Still, I don't see the next iterations of Xbox, Playstation and Wii
going anywhere but PowerPC. In the Nintendo case, they've been using
PPCs for two generations already. It's highly unlikely that Sony will
their investment in Xenon, given that they own the IP for the
processor and use this to their advantage in order to fab the
processors on whichever foundry offers better prices (and they still
subsidise the hardware costs...), and have a deep culture for
backwards compatibility.

Anyway, all IMHO, and of course I might be wrong, but I believe those
arguments (history, dev kit investment, IP) are sound.

Cheers,
A.