[haiku] Re: Full-time Haiku users?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 15:24:39 +0200

Hi,

On 2010-05-01 at 14:54:43 [+0200], Chris Tognela <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For fun.
>
> The recent thread on backing up a Haiku installation got me wondering about
> 'full-time' users.
>
> When you write full-time, do you mean that Haiku is your day-to-day OS?
> What sort of tasks do you use Haiku for - what kind of user are you? Is
> anyone still using BeOS R5 or other variants?

BeOS does not run on my hardware anymore, and I wouldn't run it, since Haiku
has more to offer now, including better programming APIs.

I use Haiku for programming, e-mail (Beam) and web-surfing. I am not a heavy
"Web" user, social networks and so on would just add even more to my
communication overhead and make me even less productive. Further I use Haiku
for graphics, I frequently use WonderBrush and for many things I do, I feel
more comfortable using it than stuff on other platforms. However, I've had to
do graphics tasks that cannot be done in WonderBrush, usually when it
involves stuff that needs to be printed eventually. For my multi-media
related tasks, I use MediaPlayer, when it doesn't play a movie right, I fall
back to VLC. In the really rare occasion that I want to play some game, watch
a DVD or play a Blu-Ray disk, I have a Windows 7 box. However, that one is
running the RC whose license has recently expired, so it only runs two hours
at a time. That I still have not fixed that tells you how seldomly I actually
use Windows. Using it so rarely however makes it quite bearable.

> Finally, playing devil's advocate, what do you miss on Haiku from other
> systems?

I would wish that some stuff would work more reliably and some other stuff be
more towards the finishing end of it's creation cycle. For example WiFi. I
don't use WiFi at home, but when I am at some other places, it would be nice
to have it working as reliable as in Ubuntu for example. The same goes for
other stuff, many things are only half-finished and sometimes it annoys the
heck out of me. This goes for my own contributions as well. A lot of stuff I
worked on is not finished, I brought it to a certain level of usefulness,
then turned my attention to other areas that have bubbled up in urgency of
receiving some love. Other developers seem to work the same. Overall, I wish
there was more progress in Haiku, but recently some new developers have
popped up and submitted patches and we have the next GSoC going, so hopefully
we can enjoy some substantial progress in many areas.

Best regards,
-Stephan