[openbeos] FreeDesktop.org collaboration ?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:17:33 +0100 CET

I'm wondering if we could somehow work together with FreeDesktop project.

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/

They are trying to uniformize several aspects of the multitude of Linux
desktops.

While we aren't an X11 Linux desktop, some parts are still relevant with Haiku.
For example we do have a mime db. They try to standardize that kind of stuff,
and have a central repository for them. That's the example of things we could
maybe work together on, without complying to every of their recommendations.

I remember seeing a work-in-progress standardization of extended attributes
(yes, Linux is comming to that, finally... except POSIX attrs aren't typed).
We could at least inform them about our ways of things, that could give them a
different point of view, and I'm sure some things are worth taking there.

I don't think things like desktop menu integration is of concern to us, but
maybe Categories could be shared as well.

Something like toolbar icons naming for app reuse could be of interest too.

I think we should at least try to contact them and offer our views.

François.