[openbeos] Re: FreeDesktop.org collaboration ?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:25:01 +0100

Hi François,

On 1/27/07, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm wondering if we could somehow work together with FreeDesktop project.

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/

They are trying to uniformize several aspects of the multitude of Linux
desktops.

I think it's a good idea to have common standards for data exchange.
For example, we could share file meta-data specs and the search index
(Beagle, etc.).

In some cases, it could also be of advantage to reuse their specs to
save time and work, but the specs must comply to Haiku's goals. This
doesn't mean that we should stop analyzing problems from our
perspective. It could just give us more time to concentrate on areas
that are really important.

I also see a problem with us suddenly appearing and sounding as if we
wanted to tell them what to do. I think that we have conflicting
goals, so we should tell them right from the start in which areas we
want to focus collaboration (e.g., data exchange) for the benefit of
both parties.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald