[openbeos] Re: Font Sensitivity

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:26:25 -0800

>> Hate to say it, 'cause folks have wanted this for a long time, but
it'll
>> have to wait until R2. =(
>Eric, I know you lead the interface-team, so you surely have your
reasons for
> that, but I really would think again about that issue, before we
produce ugly
> coordinate-code.

I have given it a lot of thought, because the lack of built-in layout
management and font-sensitivity has been a thorn in our sides for a long
time. =\

>OTOH, writing a layout-lib is not a 1-day-task, so you're right that it
would
> cost us time we don't really have.
>However, if Marco changed his license and donated the source to us, we
could
> use liblayout in OBOS and our GUI-trouble would be *GONE*, *without*
wasting time
> to write a new layout-lib or to write pseudo-font-sensitive code.

Unless we take the time (which we both agree is not available) to truly
integrate liblayout into the interface kit, we're still in a place where
folks must explicitely use liblayout classes to do their layout.  That's
fine, but it gains us nothing in our current situation.  Of course, this
all assumes that Marco decides he wants to hand his baby over to us. =)

>Then, in R2, we could improve liblayout to give the designer more
control over
> the placement, layout etc.

And so we end up defering any real work on integrating layout and
font-sensitivity until R2.  Exactly what we're going to do. =)

Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against the notion of using liblayout
(or any other library for that matter) as a base for integrating layout
and font-sensitivity into the BeAPI.  The issue is that we're not in a
position to do it correctly now, so we'll only end up with a half-way
solution that gets changed heavily in R2.  We all like to be
cutting-edge (otherwise we wouldn't be using BeOS), but a certain amount
of conservatism is necessary to keep the platform stable.  We'll get
these capabilities in due time, and when we're done, they'll kick butt!

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams