[haiku] Re: Firefox 3+ for Haiku

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:54:28 +0100

2010/1/24 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Isn't there an X driver you can start with? Since you don't have to care
> about acceleration yet (we don't even use any, currently, anyway), all
> you would have to do would be memory management, and mode switching.
> For the former, the existing driver code could help a lot, and for the
> latter, at least an X driver should exist that already does the job.

It's a bit off topic, so I'll try to give an ending summary.

Yes there is X drivers, although the learning curve is a big factor, I
think I have a basic understanding of it now.
Documentation on what/how to do BeOS/Haiku graphics drivers was the
biggest one until I found Rudolf's guide:
http://haikunews.org/projects/rc/en/index.html (MMadia is asking him
if Haiku can host it). Excellent information.

So the only real remaining problem is finding time to work on it. It's
moving forward, I already found out it is better to avoid PCI video
rom bios handling for now.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH