[openbeos] Common file-organisation

  • From: "Gregor Rosenauer" <rosenauer@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 13:28:08 CET (+0100)

Hello,

I am not yet officially involved in a team, but I want to make some suggestions
 nevertheless, if I may:)

When trying out OpenBeOS yesterday, I saw that the organisation of the
 sub-projects varying widely, which is not surprising but also hinders quick
testing,
 becoming acquainted with a subproject and could at some point hinder optimal
 cooperation.

Following are some observations and inspiration for improvements;):

1. Source is contained in "source", but also in "src"-directories
2. Sometimes there's a Makefile, sometimes a BeIDE-project-file (where the
 paths are sometimes incorrect - probably because they are not relative),
sometimes
 none of the two
3. Testing: it's not always clear what is tested or if the Test-programm is
 still working - I think the one in the media_kit is a good example: it shows
the
 expected and then the real output.
4. Documentation: probably the most important and crucial point for our
 success: without proper documentation, it will be very hard for new members to
work
 through the code and understand the concepts, so we should take care of that
from
 day #1.
At least some introductory document should be available for every project, even
 - or esp. - in this nascent stage.
I talked with Jeff Biss about it, and suggested to use doxygen throughout the
 entire source. That would be a dream for every new member, and minimal effort
 for the author of the code IMO. (of course the OpenBeBook is still needed as a
 readable API-description)
A shining example in this regard is the VM-Preferences-app!

Hope I could give some positive constructive input, I'll be away the next week,
 but I'll reply to all mail afterwards.

Regards,
Gregor (Hugh)