[haiku] Re: Built-in cryptography

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:30:55 +0200

Alexander Fortin <alexander.fortin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the meanwhile I've checked out the source, from the "Read Me"
> file,
> line 23:
>
> "The password you set in DriveEncryption is the password you have to
> enter when using the Login application"
>
> so to make it work, password must be the same for the encryption and
> for
> the login. This looks ok to me, I just suggest it would be even cooler
> to have the login process unlock the encrypted device regardless of
> the
> encryption password as it works for ecryptfs.

That's actually what happens: you set a "master" password in
DriveEncryption (the "Change Password..." menu), and that can unlock
encrypted volumes with completely different passwords - that master
password is like a key chain (that Haiku still misses).
You will have to check the "Auto" & "Remember" box in order to enable
automatic mounting.

Bye,
   Axel.