[haiku] Re: Built-in cryptography

  • From: Alexander Fortin <alexander.fortin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:19:00 +0200

On 07/19/2010 12:51 PM, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
> I know Axel ported TrueCrypt a while ago. It works based on a filesystem
> image somewhere on your harddisk and you mount it like another
> partition. The disk itself is then encrypted, while you can use any
> filesystem on it. I think he made it available somewhere, but I don't
> remember where... :-) He can probably jump in and tell us!

Cool, is sure better than nothing! I use to play with TrueCrypt a while
ago (when I still needed a Windows desktop... quite forgotten dark
ages); the very good thing in the ecryptfs approach is that cryptography
it is very usable (not just for geeks people like Haiku early adopters
:-P) and could be interesting for consultancy businesses.

I mean, if I can safely tell (my clients) "look, this OS is great, and
keeps your data safe by default too!" could be a supplementary boost for
adoption.

--
Alexander Fortin