[haiku] Re: Built-in cryptography

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:21:29 +0200

RISC <service.exchange@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/7/19 Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> > I know Axel ported TrueCrypt a while ago. It works based on a
> > filesystem
> > image somewhere on your harddisk and you mount it like another
> > partition.
> > The disk itself is then encrypted, while you can use any filesystem
> > on it. I
> > think he made it available somewhere, but I don't remember where...
> > :-) He
> > can probably jump in and tell us!
> Maybe here http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/driveencryption ?

That's it indeed. It is however not a TrueCrypt port, it just uses a
subset of its encryption/decryption mechanism, and is compatible to its
latest algorithms. That means while you may always mount
DriveEncryptions devices with TrueCrypt, the other way around might not
work.

Other than that, I'm using it to encrypt a whole partition, however, it
does not work with the boot partition yet. The partition can be
automatically mounted on startup if you enter the correct password to
the login screen via the "Login" command that is part of the project.

Bye,
   Axel.