[haiku] Re: Built-in cryptography

  • From: "Clemens Zeidler" <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:10:01 +1200

Am 20.07.2010, 03:32 Uhr, schrieb Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Alexander Fortin <alexander.fortin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/19/2010 03:21 PM, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Other than that, I'm using it to encrypt a whole partition,
> however, it
> does not work with the boot partition yet. The partition can be
> automatically mounted on startup if you enter the correct password
> the login screen via the "Login" command that is part of the
> project.
This sounds exactly as what I'm looking for!
Let me see if I get it: as soon as I do login with my user password,
the
software automatically decrypt my very-personal-dedicated-disk-space
(partition or file... I don't care) and I can read/write to it
seamlessly. Right?

Exactly.

Bye,
   Axel.

hey thats brilliant!

By the way I wrecked my ubuntu user account when I tried to remove the encryption from my home directory. There are likely files in you home dir which does not need to be encrypted, e.g. the haiku source tree. So I think its not the best idea to encrypt the whole home directory. Also its not very flexible or intuitive when playing around with encrypted data.