[openbeos] Re: BeOS/Zeta is (not) immune to attacks

  • From: "Cian Duffy" <myob87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 22:52:30 +0000

On 05/01/07, Niklas Nisbeth <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>There will never be a method to stop *you* from erasing >*your* home
folder. That's not what security is about,
>that's what backups are for.

I think I disagree. Security should make sure that I don't lose data, full
stop.

So how do you delete data then? If its secured to the point that you can't
accidentally lose something, that means you can't delete anything. Because
you'll need to stop people "accidentally" putting something in the Trash by
not letting them put *anything* in. And so on

It's not something I'm really worried about (losing data), to be
honest; I have all my most important files in several places, and
hell, it's not like hwat I do is very important in the grand scheme of
things, I might have to redo bits of whatever schoolwork I'm working
on if something gets deleted, bah, it'll do me some good - but still,
my home folder is more important than the system folder.

I have thought of a radical solution, though. Would it be possible to
make all "removal tools" (rm, API functions, tracker functions etc)
ONLY send the files to trash, and then have the trash only emptied at
specific times... or maybe have files deleted once they've been in the
trash for, say, a week? I realised this poses problems for when you're
running low on disk space, but, I dunno. Maybe trashing should just be
a sort of "flag for deletion" process, so files would only get
overwritten when you reach a certain threshold... I'm not saying I'm
convinced this is a good idea, I'm just sort of, y'kna, throwing it
out there.

Feel free to rewrite rm, forcrm, etc and I'm sure they'll be accepted. Or
not. Because they're mainly used as a backup for when things go wrong. Those
of us that use BeOS day in, day out as our primary OS sometimes come across
files that Tracker -will not- delete, which is what tools that delete
properly are for. Does Windows's "del" or OS X's "rm" send stuff to
Recycle/Trash? No.

Of course, with ACL you could only allow Tracker to
> delete files in your home folder to be a bit more on
> the safe side.

Does Haiku have those? A lot of shell scripts (installers, etc) will
rely on rm, though, and some apps need to be able to clean up after
themselves...

Not yet it doesn't ;)

Cian

--