[openbeos] BeOS/Zeta is (not) immune to attacks

  • From: "Niklas Nisbeth" <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:07:07 +0100

This was widely reported on BeOS news sites, but I wanted to just
throw it out here. While security is obviously not going to be a big
issue in the real world any time soon, I think these issues need to be
looked at and addressed BEFORE we achieve world-domination, so we can
send the black hats & script kiddies to /dev/null from day 1. Some of
the points Maurice make are good...

http://maurice.kaldience.com/?p=21

And while we're at the security discussion, can I just reiterate a
point I make whenever I get the opportunity: People talk about
multi-user as though it's the holy grail of computer security, and
that you must have it for your systems to be secure. I'm not
convinced: all the stuff that's actually important to me is in my home
folder; that's the stuff I do backups of, and that's what I'd miss if
it was erased. Multi-user doesn't change that, programmes I run can
still erase my home folder, there's no check there. Rendering my
system unbootable by wiping /boot/beos is a nuisance at best if I have
an installation CD. I don't think rm -r /boot/beos/* is something we
need to be concerned with, but rm -r /boot/home/* is a *very* big
issue.