[openbeos] Re: BeIDE Projects?!

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:47:27 +0100

Hi Nathan,

>I just downloaded the OBOS CVS. It has next to nothing in it (shame on
>you!). What it has, and is not the kernel, consists in large part of
>BeIDE projects (shame on you again!). Please use makefiles. They run
on
>ppc and x86 and are a standard. Also, you can do batch makes of the
>project to compile the whole tree.

Hehe, I would prefer everyone to use Jamfiles :) For those of you who
aren't Jamming often, I'm refering to a tool called Jam/MR, a cool
portable tool for doing the same things as in Makefiles but then
readable :)

I'm going to publish a setup for the buildsystem start of next week,
which uses Jam, and the Jamfiles look like this:

 ------- snip here ---------
SubDir OBOS_TOP sources obos kits Printing ;

#print_server defs
Server print_server : print_server.cpp ;
LinkSharedOSLibs print_server : be root ;
AddResources print_server : print_server.FileTypes.rsrc ;

#Printers defs
Preference Printers : Printers.cpp ;
LinkSharedOSLibs Printers : be root ;
AddResources Printers : Printers.FileTypes.rsrc ;

#Print To File defs
Addon "Print To File" : Print transport : PrintToFile.cpp ;
LinkSharedOSLibs "Print To File" : be root ;
AddResources "Print To File" : PrintToFile.FileTypes.rsrc ;

#PrintJob lib defs
SharedLibrary PrintJob : PrintJob.cpp ;
LinkSharedOSLibs PrintJob : be root ;
AddResources libPrintJob.so : PrintJob.FileTypes.rsrc ;

>I would suggest an absolute moratorium on BeIDE projects in CVS.

I couldn't agree more on that, although, up till now, it is the easiest
thing to do :)

Regards,

Ithamar.

PS: The stuff I'm going to publish is a proposal, and I'm always open
for suggestions :)