[openbeos] Re: BeIDE Projects?!

  • From: David Sowsy <dsowsy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:48:26 -0500 (EST)

> I just downloaded the OBOS CVS. It has next to nothing in it (shame on
> you!). What it has, and is not the kernel, consists in large part of
> BeIDE projects (shame on you again!). Please use makefiles. They run on
> ppc and x86 and are a standard. Also, you can do batch makes of the
> project to compile the whole tree.

Wow, a pretty well constructed rant...you make me proud.

> I would suggest an absolute moratorium on BeIDE projects in CVS.

I would suggest scrapping Makefiles completely in favor of an XML
format. Makefiles are those kind of things that require a small furry
animal to be sacrificed and lots of voodoo to be done from scratch
because no one really is left who knows exactly how to make them
despite the volumes of books that have stacked up on the topic.
Magical tabs and spacies require late night rituals to get past...
Let it die. Projects or bust.

<Singing along to the tune of Twisted Sister>

"We're not gonna make it....no we ain't gonna make it...any more."

> -Nathan
David Sowsy    .    /|\  BeOS Rebel and Coder   .  *  .
http://dsowsy.nanorevolution.com   .   *   .   *   .  .