[openbeos] Re: BeBook license

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:18:59 +0200 CEST

"J. Starek" <jslistmail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I personally think, we just shouldn't care about any translations.
> > Development language is English - if anybody wants to contribute
> > directly to the project, at least.
> Well, IIRC from last BeGeistert, you are an university student
> (computer
> sciences?). Students generally tend to have little problems with
> English
> because they have grown up learning the language at school and deal
> with
> it a lot in lectures and books.

Yes, but that was mainly meant as a requirement to participate in this
project - at least a basic understanding of English, because we need to
work together :-)

> > Of course, if there is a team which takes up the task and keep the
> > translations up to date, I would appreciate it.
> There will be - but there will have to be some synchronization
> between
> the developers and the doc team (see below).

I know that many developers aren't very good with writing
documentation, so we need to work together tightly - but if the
developer haven't written a particular piece that falls into his area,
I think he *must* check the correctness of the docs directly.

> > But I think the responsibility of keeping the original English
> > documentation up-to-date should lie in the hands of the developers
> > of the
> > corresponding component - else I don't expect it to work too well.
> I don't know if I'm right there, but I think Jeff Biss (the doc team
> lead) posted a request to this mailing list a while ago asking
> developers
> to point out any changes in the API to him. Personally, I cross-check
> with the current CVS entries sometimes (but not every day).

I think there aren't any fixed changes up to now, but they will
certainly happen, and of course, they should be documented :-)
But I think the English documentation should come first here when
possible; of course, if the developer in question writes e.g. the
French documentation, because he doesn't like or can write longer texts
in English, we would need to translate it ASAP.

Adios...
   Axel.