[openbeos] Re: B_USER_DATA_DIRECTORY?

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:06:14 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:

If I remember correctly we just discussed the introduction of new directoy types in this list a few weeks ago.
B_USER_DATA_DIRECTORY was one of the proposed additions.
While it would be easy to add these types, and I'll probably do it for testing purposes, I don't think we have finally decided on that matter yet.

I see evil things happening. This should not become a replacement for /boot/apps/{my-app}/data. Static data that should be readable by all users (game data files, for example) should live in the app's data folder. Otherwise we will have a totally cluttered system.
IMHO, what should go into the new folder are:
dynamic (!!!) data files that are NOT settings!

For global folders we can take parts of the GE-RFC into account: Move some things to /users/shared/.

In that folder we probably need:
  add-ons
  apps
    bin
  cache
  data
  desktop
  docs (or documentations?)
    man
  libraries
  settings

The global cache, data, docs, and settings folders could already go there. You agreed on the RFC's folder structure, didn't you?

Bye,
Waldemar