[openbeos] Re: B_USER_DATA_DIRECTORY?

  • From: "Kevin Field" <kev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 09:48:13 -0400 EDT

> > My point was that you can't assume that "home" implies that to
> > people -
> > it didn't to me. I guessed it was the home of something, but had no
> > idea what (config files, logs etc seemed to be the most likely).
> > Having
> > a "My *" (documents, files, whatever) at least makes it clear to
> > the
> > user that is where they can put stuff.
>
> Since we are having this discussion I feel like I have a chance to
> vent
> one of my pet peeves.  When they first came out with "My Documents"
> I thought it was the silliest thing.  Like a number of people I
> suppose,
> I personify my computer.  So, presumably "My Documents" is the place
> where the computer puts its documents.  If only there was a "Your
> Documents" folder someplace for me to put mine... :-)

I thought it was silly for another reason--My Documents, well, whom
else's would they be, sitting on my computer?  Well, friends can share
documents with you, I guess, but then there was no Other People's
Documents, so everyone just put them under My Documents, and a whole
lot of other non-document garbage as well.

Why can't we just call it user_data?

Kev